black t shirt|
If you are like most people, there are a few times during your day where you just wish you could just slow down and relax for a few minutes. You also probably already know that relaxation helps your body re-energize, but sometimes you get so caught up in the moment that you just don’t think you have the time to unwind.
Well, fortunately there are simple relaxation techniques that you can put to use even during your busiest days, that don’t require a lot of time or equipment.
The following are 5 simple relaxation and stress reduction tips that you can use just about any time you choose.
1. In a long, slow moving line at the grocery store: Instead of stressing out because there aren’t enough cashiers and every line has at least 5 people standing in them with grocery carts overflowing with junk food, use that time to relax your body by taking some deep breaths.
You don’t have to limit deep breathing to the store either. The great thing about this relaxation technique is that it can be done anywhere when you’re feeling stressed or just want to clear your mind.
Physiologically, deep breathing is a relaxation technique helps increase the oxygen in your blood. Since oxygen supplies energy to your body, deep breathing sends an energy burst to all your systems to help them recharge.
An easy way to use deep breathing techniques is by taking five slow deep breaths. To get the most benefit from this relaxation exercise, inhale deeply through your nose and exhale out your mouth. As you breathe try to concentrate on your breathing and nothing else.
The great thing about deep breathing relaxation is that it helps you relax. This will allow your mind to clear which reduces brain fog. You’ll also feel much more alert and ready to tackle the next project on your plate.
2. At work – Most people say that they can’t find the time or place to relax at work. You might be afraid of the boss “getting on you” if you’re caught “relaxing.” The following are some inconspicuous stress relaxation techniques.
First, remember your body is made to move! If you sit in front of a computer all day, get up and move around for a few minutes every hour. This will do a few things for you. It relaxes your eyes and neck. It allows you to re-focus and it helps circulate the blood throughout your body. Just a little bit of increased blood flow will make you feel more alert and focused.
Every once in a while, close your eyes and roll your head slowly from side to side and from front to back. Your body was not made to stare at a computer screen all day. This relaxation technique helps you to relieve tension in your neck and shoulders. It also increases blood flow to your brain. Are you beginning to see a pattern?
If you have a job that requires you to stand all day, a great relaxation exercise is to stretch out your back and sides by standing with your feet firm on the floor, shoulder width apart, and slowly twisting your upper body, including your head from side to side. Remember, slowly is the key term here. Actually try to see how slowly you can do this. Also try to see how far you can comfortably stretch and then imagine yourself stretching just a little more and then stretch a little more. Stretching loosens up your back muscles and spine which helps in relieving stress throughout your body.
One of the best ways to relieve stress is to go for a walk. Walking is another great relaxation technique you can use for clearing your mind. The best thing is that your body benefits from the extra exercise as well.
3. When you are rushing from place to place – Stop and take a mini vacation in your mind. An excellent relaxation technique is to just take a few moments to daydream. This will allow you to escape the busyness of reality.
In our modern world, stress is a nearly always a self imposed infliction. Daydreaming lets your imagination flow, which is one of the easiest ways to relieve the stress of your real world.
Think of the place that for you means relaxation or is a place where you love to go. It may be the beach or it may be a mountain campsite or anyplace else that you can imagine. Whatever you like is just fine as long as it makes you feel calm and happy. Use your imagination to bring in the all the sights, sounds and sensations.
After allowing yourself to experience your mini vacation for two to five minutes you’ll have gone a long ways toward relaxing and feeling reenergized, ready to face the real world again.
4. Smile – This is a relaxation exercise that you can use just about anywhere and at anytime. Not only does smiling actually makes you feel good, studies have shown it to be very effective in relieving stress and helping to rejuvenate the body. It also makes other people more open to your requests, which is a great relaxation technique.
So, when you’re out and about one of the best stress relaxation techniques you can put to use is to smile at all the people you meet or pass. When you’re at work, smile at everyone. Not only is it a great relaxation technique for you, it’ll help the people you work with relax as well. An added benefit is that it will also make you appear more likeable.
By the way don’t forget to smile at your kids, especially when you’re running them around to all their different activities. This relaxation technique will go a long ways toward creating a smile on their faces and a peaceful environment you’ll all enjoy.
5. Laugh – One of the simplest and best relaxation and stress reduction tips you can use when you are really stressed out is to laugh. Laughter is a tried and true relaxation technique. Since you probably don’t want to be seen as a nut case, laughing out loud when you’re in line at the store or sitting at your desk might not work for you. So when you can, involve others in your laughter with you.
When appropriate, you can tell a funny joke or story to a co-worker.
When you’re with your kids play a fun game or sing a silly song while you drive.
If you can, watch a couple of funny videos on YouTube.
Engaging in these simple, everyday relaxation techniques will help to sustain and strengthen you throughout your day. It’ll also make you a lot more pleasant when you get home. So start using these stress relaxation techniques today. Your friends, co-workers, and family will all appreciate the new, relaxed you!
write by Brian Brown