Cyberpunk and Steampunk are frequently mistakenly associated with each other. Whereas they do have an influence on each other and share like-minded admirers, Steampunk is actually an entirely separate movement. Of the two, Steampunk is more authoritarian in nature and representative of a world that that passes itself off as utopia; when in reality, is ruled under strict laws and regulations by the powers that be.
That being said…
Steampunk costumes as a fashion fad look like exactly what they represent – a futuristic yet underdeveloped style reminiscent of something out of a Jules Verne or HG Wells science fiction novel. Imagine a mixture of present day Goth and futuristic Goth rolled into one! The look is not objectionable, and in fact is kind of cool looking and brings on an edge! Picture Edward Scissorhands meets Elvira Mistress of the dark meets Xena the Warrior Princess meets Sherlock Holmes. Sort of.
Bits and pieces
Some of the more common apparatus involved in Steampunk apparel is as follows:
- Spats; old fashioned albeit with a funky Steampunk style
- Fingerless gloves, leather of course
- Buckles, buckles, and more buckles… everywhere!
- Machinist goggles, I don’t know what they’re riding but apparently they need eye protection
- Long old English coat with tails, top hat or bowler (cane optional)
An altogether different look for Steampunk viking style cleveland indians hawaiian shirt for a male is of a Victorian driver:
- Herringbone cap
- Pouch belt; this looks like something one might carry ammunition in, which gives a whole new meaning to the term ‘road rage’
- White ruffled shirt (with ammo…)
- Brown suede los angeles dodgers dallas cowboys polo shirt with fur collar and ‘badge’ of sorts
Yet another look for men, the ‘Studly Gentleman’:
- Bowler hat, monocle, handlebar moustache
- Grey los angeles dodgers dallas cowboys polo shirt with braided decorations, gold buttons at each braid-end (reminiscent of civil war los angeles dodgers dallas cowboys polo shirt decorative style)
Now for the ladies:
- Short skirts that are frilly yet somehow manage to convey a rough and tough exterior
- Little shirts with lots of ruffles and sequined studs emitting the same aura
- And, you guessed it, machinist goggles
- Tiny little bowler hat hair pinned to the top of her head, Janis Joplin-esque round tinted glasses
- Leather choker with attached gold brooch, leather belts worn diagonally from shoulder down to waist (ammunition belt style)
- A little brown short vest over a tight short black dress, and kick butt, high heeled boots to die for!
- Various bobbles, trinkets, badges, pocket watches, brooches, chains studded leather arm and wrist bands and as such serve as Steampunk jewelryand accessories
And there you have it; Steampunk style costumes/fashion statements. If only this had been popular in my teenage days
write by Oralie